Gate City Bank is encouraging you to beware of phone scams. Fraudulent phone calls may be made to local phone numbers in an attempt to obtain personal confidential information. The caller ID may falsely display a financial institution's name and phone number. These phone calls are part of a scam known as “phishing” or “vishing”, which is an attempt by fraudsters to obtain personal, and sometimes financial, information from individuals.
If you are a Gate City Bank customer and receive a phone call, do not give out any financial information. Please report this phone call to Gate City Bank immediately at 800-423-3344 or 701-293-2400. If you have provided your confidential information and have become a victim of fraudulent activity on your Gate City Bank Debit Card, you are protected by Gate City Bank and have zero liability. Contact us immediately if this has occurred.
To avoid becoming a victim of a phishing scam:
- Do Not respond to phone calls, emails, faxes, or text messages asking you to provide sensitive information immediately.
- Do Not provide personal financial information such as account numbers, debit or credit card numbers, or passwords in response to an unsolicited phone call, email, fax, or text message, no matter how legitimate it seems.
- Do contact us immediately if you have responded to what you believe may have been a phishing attempt.
- Do contact Gate City Bank at your local phone banking number if you are unsure about the legitimacy of any phone calls.
- Do review your account transactions regularly and contact us if you find any unauthorized transactions.
- Do keep Gate City Bank informed of your current home and cell phone numbers in the event the bank needs to verify if suspicious activity has occurred.
At Gate City Bank, we take the security of your personal information very seriously. Here is how Gate City Bank protects your personal information:
- Fraud Detection Center. We monitor your debit card for potential fraud 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and can recognize fraudulent transactions by detecting purchases outside of your normal spending pattern. If our Fraud Detection Center identifies fraudulent activity, we will contact you at the phone number we have on file.
- Zero Liability. Fraudulent transactions on your debit card are likely to be denied, however, if they are approved you are not liable for any dollar amount of any unauthorized transaction, and Gate City Bank will reimburse you.
We also offer several tools to help you monitor your accounts which will help in preventing fraud. We recommend that you utilize these tools, listed below.
- Debit Card Controls - Monitor and control your Gate City Bank Debit Card anytime and anywhere through online and mobile banking.
- Online Banking - Enroll in online banking to set up account alerts, review recent transactions, and more - all from your computer or mobile phone.
- Mobile App - Download our mobile app to access account information on the go from your smartphone.